Can you really make money doing eDesign? Let’s see how I can best answer this.
Yes, you can.
A lot of times we see these “Million Dollar Decorators” or the Fancy Pants designer on TV and just wish we could be rolling in the money like a filthy Kardashian. Without selling our souls to El Diablo.
I’m here to tell you that it is totes possible to really make money doing eDesign, but. But! You have to make it happen.
There are a bunch of designers out there that give up and figure that because it hasn’t happened yet for them that it must simply be impossible, but it’s not. They just gave up and that’s why you’re not going to fail. Because kick-ass designers don’t fail.
Look, this question could be asked of any profession, really. Can you really make money as golf ball diver? Can you make money being a pet food taster? Can you make money as a paper towel sniffer? Why yes you can and this is to prove two things to you.
#1 You can make money doing whatever is your passion.
Your passion is interior design and you see that other designers are making money designing interiors, right? The method of communication and delivery (which is the only difference between traditional design and eDesign is) is the only difference. Just with building any business it takes hard work. You probably won’t see results immediately. And that is why you need to be passionate about being an interior designer.
#2 Pick a niche.
When you are passionate about your life work, your energy will know no bounds unless you don’t pick a niche that your adore. If you love working with young families then don’t also focus on the Boomers of the world. The needs are totally different and your marketing efforts will have to be double to attract the attention of both types of clients.
Everything and everyone is here for a reason.
Just because designing interiors that are beautiful comes easy to you doesn’t mean that you can’t make money doing just that.
We like to put a lot of roadblocks in our own way. We tell ourselves 85 reasons why it won’t be able to really make money doing eDesign (much less traditional interior design), but instead why don’t we start focusing on why it will work.
Are you waiting for someone to give you permission?
Are you waiting for someone to do it for you?
Are you waiting until you know everything?
Are you waiting for someone to tell you that you’re good enough?
Are you waiting for someone to tell you that you’re already an expert?
Today, I am telling you that:
You have permission to make your dream come true.
No one will do it for you.
You don’t have to know everything.
You are good enough.
You are already an expert.
How You Can Really Make Money Doing eDesign :
1. Decide to follow your passion.
2. Be willing to work for free. Not forever and not to the state of being a slave, but to get experience and to build a portfolio.
3. Experiment on what works best. There is no magic bullet for every business, much less every designer. All of us have unique talents that we excel at, when you know what you’re an ace at, do that and do it well.
4. Care about your client, deeply. If you refuse to choose a niche, how can you get into your client’s head? If you don’t know why they wake up at 3 in the morning in a cold sweat over, you’re not going to be able to solve their problem and get them to buy from you.
5. Own your worth. When you know how valuable you are to that perfect client, there is no stopping you. But if you’re worried about what other’s are doing, you’re not keeping you eye on the ball. Stay in your own lane, focus on your journey.
6. Design Solutions. Your job as an interior designer is to design pretty and functional solutions. But simply slapping up a mood board for sale doesn’t solve a problem. It creates a pretty Pinterest board. When you think about what events triggers your client to buy from you, you then can create the solutions that they would pay anything for.
7. Don’t get hung up on “eDesign”. Whether or not you sell eDesign services (the method of delivery) you need to have an online presence to connect to your clients, local or virtual. Your goal must be about you turning into the problem solver, not focused on the method of design.
8. Money comes when you’re doing it right. If you’re in the business for money, it isn’t going to come. If you’re in this business to bring your unique gift to the world and share it because you know it will help others, then the money can’t help to follow when the intentions are pure. Really, that’s not some woo woo bullshit, it’s truth.
Get out of your own way and make shit happen. Because you can. I know you can.
No matter if you have a shitty bridge job, 17 kids, a husband who doesn’t believe in you, or friends who think you’re smoking crack. Really, it doesn’t matter.. are you waiting for a better time?
There will never be a better time than now. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have clients now or the cash to fund the best effing website in the world. If you have the will to succeed, congratulations! You’re in a league with other people who are determined to succeed and will FIND a way to do it.
Because through Faith and Moxie if we dream it, Love and Abundance is ours to have. Freely. We can break out of our mental chains that don’t serve us and kick ass in this world.
If we have the FAITH to know it is all gonna work out in our favor, live our ‘why’ with MOXIE we will get the LOVE we put out there ABUNDANTLY.
Nothing can stop you once you CHOOSE success. You’re perfect and this is the perfect time.