You know that day you always talk about. You remember. Someday.
That day that you’re going to have clients coming out of your ass and you’ll have a waiting list of people to work with?
That day that you’re getting the props for being a fabulous designer and that your style is fly.
That day that you’re going to be able to tell *those* people: “See? I told you I could do it!”
That some day is never going to come.
If you don’t want to have an interior design business that makes you consistent money and isn’t a hobby anymore, it’s cool.
If you don’t take action to make your dreams happen, then don’t expect some magic pixie dressed up like Richard Simmons to come down and give you a sash that says you’ve been certified “Kick Ass Designer” of the year. Oh and here’s a trunk from Restoration Hardware filled full of gold.
Look, it’s possible for anyone, especially you to find out how to create an interior design business from scratch.
Here’s some ways for you to do that:
- Build your email list. Even if you don’t have a website, build the damn list. Sign up for a free Mailchimp account and use their hosted signup form.
- Tell everyone what you’re doing (and have them sign up for your list). Even if you have a ‘baby’ design business, you need to build your list and share with the people on your list what you’re up to. Start the convo.
- Blog. You need to get into the habit of writing. Writing will help you to build your business, get a feel for your audience and get stronger every day about communicating your value.
- Figure out who you REALLY want to work with. You don’t have to subject yourself to every a-hole out there just because they have money.
- Invest in a website. Spend the time to have an objective look at your website to see if it is clear. Does it make sense? Does your client know what to do on your website? Do they understand how to work with you?
- Price your services correctly. And this is different for everyone, but don’t think just because you can do something quickly is a reason to charge clients peanuts. You need to believe in yourself.
- Package your services up. Yes, you can do everything under the sun but your client needs you to make it easy for them to decide if they want to work with you. This is after all an experience they are buying from you more than a design service.
- SEO is your BFF. Part of building your business foundation online means you need to start researching and using Search Engine Optimization. The key here is to think of how your client would search for your help, not what the terms or phrases that you would call it.
- Start a file. A file of the exact phrases your clients say and write to you. It will help you really step into their shoes and when the time comes to communicate them, you’ll be able to talk their language.
- Pick goals. Every day is a gift. You and I both don’t know how much longer we will be here before we’re sent to kick it with the pillbugs. Letting yourself get sidetracked like a squirrel is just contributing to your overwhelm.
Decide today that you’re going to write down your top 3 goals. And be firm that you will achieve those goals by setting time aside to focus on them ONLY.
By setting your intentions to achieve your goals that’s the biggest obstacle when figuring out how to create an interior design business, because the rest is cake when you know what to do, but without action your dreams won’t happen. #sadbuttrue
The real reason most designers fail is because they don’t have a plan, so follow that one I just gave you.
And if you want a shortcut to figure out how to create an interior design business that’s attracting your clients online, you should most definitely check out the course I created called Designer DNA, it’s like a blueprint on how to create an interior design business using the power of the internet.
As a former interior designer it’s everything I learned -after loads of trial and error – I know exactly what works + what doesn’t. I know how to position myself, what to include on my website and exactly how to speak to my ideal clients to reel ‘em in like (precious) little fishies. But only ‘cause I spent years + hours + thousands upon thousands of dolares trying every. fucking. thing. out. there.
And basically? I don’t want you to go through the bullshizzle that I did. I want more than anything to make it easy for other interior designers and decorators like you to turn your dreams of owning a thriving business into reality, without going into major debt or begging the doc for benzos. (Kidding. Sort of.)
So, what finally helped me break through and create the biz of my dreams? The secret sauce to my success was learning how to use this big ol’ tool called the Internet to get my name out there and connect with clients.
I want to teach you how to build a thriving interior design biz by turning the Internet into your money-making biatch! Let’s talk!